Thank you for your epic support in launching Thankyou into New Zealand a few months ago. We’ve been in awe of how Kiwis like you have backed this idea to help make a serious impact on global poverty. It’s incredible and we’re so grateful.
You might be wondering how things have gone over the past 13 weeks. What’s awesome is that the sales results are in…after weeks of us pressing refresh on our emails :) We’re pumped to update you on our progress since launch. Keep reading!
Just to recap, at launch we asked you to Take Action by helping us get Thankyou everywhere in NZ, and Tell Two people to give us a go. Your support was huge and the results were seriously phenomenal.
On launch day, social media blew up and we were excited by what unfolded. The Project, AM Show, Herald on Sunday, The Press, stuff.co.nz and Idealog covered the story and people started to Take Action. Kiwis were promoting it at school, recording a dance battle in the supermarket aisles, writing notes on bottles and leaving them on neighbour’s doorsteps, buying trolley-loads of product and skydiving from 21,000 feet over the Franz Joseph Glacier with a hand wash.
And then something happened… our retail launch partners New World, PAK’nSAVE and Foursquare started to report something we’d never seen in Australia. Stores were selling out, restocking and then selling out again. ON. THE. SAME. DAY!
The First 13 Weeks
It turns out that launching into supermarkets is no walk in the park. You get 13 weeks to prove yourself and if the results aren’t great, you’re up for some very tough chats. Tough chats that you really want to avoid having!
While we were waiting to get the first data read on sales, we got even more great news - Foodstuffs ranged more of our products and Countdown started stocking our products. Having both supermarkets on board took us five years in Australia and it happened in the first three months! We’re so grateful for the support of our retailers who’ve backed this launch in a big way.
The results are in and thanks to you we’ve reached some pretty incredible launch positions. A little context: some of the results you’re about to read took us years to achieve in Australia!
The Results (Based on Dollars per Store per Week)
We are the NUMBER 3 ¹ Body Wash - Total Shower Gel 250-500ml
Thankyou Geranium & Rosewood 500mL
We are the NUMBER 1 ² Body Scrub - Total Personal Wash
Thankyou Geranium & Rosewood Coffee Body Scrub
We are the NUMBER 7 ³ Hand Wash - Total Liquid Soaps (excluding refills)
Thankyou Vanilla & Patchouli 500ml
Our Hand Cream is the NUMBER 4 * Moisturiser - 100g or less
Thankyou Geranium & Rosewood 70mL
We’re humbled and thrilled, but we don’t want to be that kid that yells “I’m winning” 1km into a marathon. The truth is that there’s still a long way to go…
We’re getting the sense other brands have noticed their shelf space and sales changing, so the next nine months will probably be the fight of our lives to ensure we’re here to stay.
It’s our aim to make remarkable products that are number one in their category, not just because number one is a fun number, but because it means we can make the most dollars to give to something bigger than all of us - ending global poverty.
Thankyou has grown to the number 1 and 2 hand wash position in Australia and we believe the same is possible for New Zealand, but we can’t do it on our own. Today we’re asking for your support to help keep the momentum going.
You might be wondering how you can help. So here are some ideas:
- We know that lots of you have told two already, but we have a sneaky suspicion that there are still lots of other people out there who haven't experienced our beautiful products yet... maybe you could tell another two?
- When you do this make sure you tag us in on social so we can share your love with others you’ll find us @thankyounz
- If you can't find us in stores don't be afraid to ask your friendly store manager for our products
Thanks again for backing this idea! We hope you’ll join us as we continue to make Thankyou a household name in NZ to make a huge, positive impact on our world.
1. Thankyou Rosewood and Geranium 500ml is #3 in dollars per store per week, Total New Zealand Grocery, Total Shower Gel 250-500ml in the Quarter to WE 16/09/18 Source: IRI MarketEdge | National Grocery | Total Shower Gels 250ml – 500ml as defined by Thank You NZ Ltd using the IRI Grocery Review Segmentation | Dollars per Store per Week | QTR to 16/09/2018.
2. Thankyou Body Scrub Coffee 300g is #1 Coffee Scrub in dollars per store per week Total New Zealand Grocery, Total Personal Wash in the Quarter to WE 16/09/18 Source: IRI MarketEdge | National Grocery | Total Personal Wash as defined by Thank You NZ Ltd using the IRI Grocery Review Segmentation | Dollars per Store per Week | QTR to 16/09/2018.
3. Thankyou Handwash Patchouli and Vanilla is #7 in dollars per store per week, Total New Zealand Grocery, Total Liquid Soaps (excluding refills) in the Quarter to WE 16/09/18 Source: IRI MarketEdge | National Grocery | Total Liquid Soaps excluding Refills as defined by Thank You NZ Ltd using the IRI Grocery Review Segmentation | Dollars per Store per Week | QTR to 16/09/2018.
*. Thankyou Rosewood and Geranium 70ml Handcream is #4 moisturiser 100g or less in dollars per store per week, Total New Zealand Grocery, Total Moisturisers in the Quarter to WE 16/09/18 Source: IRI MarketEdge | National Grocery | Total Moisturisers 100g or less as defined by Thank You NZ Ltd using the IRI Grocery Review Segmentation | Dollars per Store per Week | QTR to 16/09/2018.